New Delhi, Feb 16 (KNO): Asserting that Jammu and Kashmir would be violence free by 2029, Home Minister Amit Shah on Monday said that the Union Territory is moving towards lasting peace.
While addressing an event marking the 79th foundation day of Delhi Police in the National Capital, Shah, according to the news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO) said, “Nearly 80 percent of internal security challenges faced by the country prior to 2014, particularly in Jammu & Kashmir, the North-East, and Maoist-affected regions, have now been brought under control.”
“In Jammu & Kashmir the security situation is gradually improving following the abrogation of the region’s special status under Article 370. I can assure the countrymen that J&K and North-East would be free of violence by 2029,” Shah added.
He stated that terror-related violence, including gun violence and killings of civilians and security forces personnel, has declined sharply since the Centre revoked Article 370 and 35A from the erstwhile state.
In the North-East, he noted that nearly 20 peace agreements have been signed with insurgent groups, and over 10,000 youths have surrendered their arms and joined mainstream society.
He also said the period from 2014 to 2026 will be recorded as a golden era for India’s internal security, citing significant progress in Jammu & Kashmir, the North-East, and Maoist-affected regions.
Shah noted that prior to 2014, India faced major internal security challenges in these three regions, which had persisted for three to four decades. Since then, he said, measures undertaken by the government have substantially reduced violence.
“I am pleased to state that after the abrogation of Article 370, incidents of violence have declined by up to 80 per cent in Jammu & Kashmir, the North-East, and Maoist-affected areas. The day is not far when these regions will be free from violence,” Shah said.
He highlighted developments in the North-East, where over 10,000 youths have surrendered their arms and returned to mainstream society.
Shah said the government has signed more than 20 peace accords with insurgent groups, significantly contributing to regional stability.
Referring to the government’s progress in Maoist-affected areas, Shah said the administration is close to ending Maoist violence entirely by the March 2026 deadline.
ANNOUNCES 10 NEW INITIATIVES UNDER “SAFE CITY” PROJECT
Shah announced ten new initiatives under the “Safe City” project for the national capital. The Delhi Police Special Cell’s integrated headquarters will play a key role in counter-terror operations. About 2,100 AI-enabled cameras will soon be operational, forming part of a larger network of 10,000 cameras under the project. These will complement the 15,000 cameras already installed across Delhi.
He also highlighted steps to modernise the criminal justice system, including the introduction of three new laws aimed at increasing conviction rates to 75 to 80 percent. States such as Assam, Haryana, and Gujarat have already recorded conviction rate increases of more than 20 percent, he said.
Shah said the government’s priorities include building a “drug-free India,” countering cyber terrorism, and dismantling organised crime networks.
In 2025, nine gangsters were killed in encounters, while 32 gangsters who fled abroad are being monitored by Delhi Police Special Cell with support from central agencies.
The Home Minister also acknowledged the role of Delhi Police in handling previous security incidents, including the Parliament attack and the bomb blast near the Red Fort.
Acknowledging that challenges remain, the Home Minister said the Ministry of Home Affairs is focused on establishing a new security framework across the country. This includes creating a nationwide network of CCTV cameras and control rooms to combat narcotics, with appropriate legal backing, and modernising border security to prevent infiltration.
Shah also underlined the government’s plans to implement three new criminal law codes to strengthen the justice system and improve enforcement across states.
Expressing confidence in the ongoing efforts, he said the government aims to address remaining security challenges in all three regions before 2029—(KNO)